Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Unusual Place of Motivation - Kitchen

Lying on the bed, thinking about a few tasks that I have to accomplish for the day, I move the curtains to get replenished. Somehow hunger strikes me early. 10.00 a.m. Ironical. Showering appears to be moved to the later half of the day. The unwashed black cereal bowl reminds that I have to sort the utensil mess. Dressed up, I head to the kitchen to make a bowl of rice crisps, smoothies and nutties with milk to fill myself. The first question for the day.It was the kitchen cleaning lady. I dont know her name yet. There was Sally in the kitchen, one of my inmates in the apartment. As usual busy with her breakfast preparation. Question was raised. "Did you have the kitchen kick-off meeting along with your residential tutor when you moved in??. There were the two of us in the kitchen. This is the only time in life, when you are talkative, people appreciate it. So the result is that I answered her, after a short pause. "Yah, I am the kitchen representative for this flat.". Generally, like many of us, I like to catch up with people through casual coversations, with whoever the person might be. But, the question, really is why did I have to pause a moment, when I have to start answering to that easiest question. Three months back. There was a kitchen cleaning lady, named Marie, who was the nightmare for all of us in my apartment. She is so fat, that bath tubs have to be made of soft material to allow expansion. Or else,even the tub would capsize. Now that was not a joke. During our first conversations, while she figured out that, I am the flat - rep, she filed minor complaints about the spreading of utensils around the table, failing to remove the rubbish bin and etcetera. I had posted notes informing the inmates that we will have to be weary next time. Of course every one around did their best to enjoy a tidy cooking room. Nevertheless, cooking pans were looking like remnants of a miniature prison cell. During which, the accomodation team would notify us, using kitchen do's and dont's posterized on the notice boards inside the kitchen. "Accountability". In a flat of ten, you can hardly identify this word. Marie would try her best to shout every morning, until you know that it is late to rise from bed. There were times, when my door was knocked every morning at 9.00 to seek justice for the messed kitchen. Marie and I, slowly progressed to become the inseparable duo, when it comes to warwick accommodation. One morning, I still remember, when a grill was thrown like a spear, out of anguish, which after leaving the dexterous hands of Marie, hit the kitchen floor producing a raucous echo. Now what is the occasion??. Marie got mad, because supposedly we had messed the pans. After this we were really worried about our heads, which could get slithered by yet another outrageous throw from Marie. Psychotic. The right word to use for someone who is behaviour is characterised with unusal rant, fretful dialogues or a unique mental pre-disposition to make others get off their seats. I really had wished to have a surrogate cleaner. Connection. Present day. 09.06.2010. The pretty cleaner said, "When I came in today, the kitchen was tidy." I exchanged glances with Sally, who was flummoxed. She continued, "It was all straight and clean. It makes our job easier, when you try to wipe and clean your own mess."She gave a hearty smile. Kind and sensual. We didn't have anything to reply back. I said, "Thanks, we do try to keep this kitchen neat." It was motivating. I don't want to put myself down to underestimate the value of appreciation. Had Marie sounded this way, even when she was petulant, I mean, we would have tried harder. She was boorish and boring from the start. Once she said, "If you see stains on the pan, you have to clean it". I thought WTF!!. But remember, Marie was huge. If she slaps me in reply, my ears can never hear again. Of course, you cannot hit the wall with your hand. I feel that some thing has come up. A lesson. " The smallest of efforts you put in some thing, is definitely the road towards expanding your results out of it". Plausible it seems, you might not get the result, that would be appreciated in the first few attempts.But, certain is the day, when you shall be looked upon. Now, this small appraisal was fresh in the morning. She smiled and left the kitchen. Sally is missing and that is usual. Break-fast time.

2 comments:

  1. hmm nice post on motivation... but why the emphasis on look? ;-)

    ReplyDelete